Murray Edwards

Murray Edwards died peacefully in October 2011. He was at peace with the world and his last wish was that people would be surrounded by love, warmth and beauty. His legacy of art will continue, through a series of exclusive limited edition releases of new work, commencing in early 2012.

1. Jenni on January 7, 2015 at 1:18 pm

A colleague from Adelaide was visiting in Sydney and I mentioned Murray and looked up the website to show her and saw the news of his demise.
    I was in the area visiting a winery and they had some of Murrays work (cards). I was so taken by his work with the cloud formations and decided to go up to his studio to visit. He was making his way to the studio and the door was open so I went in and looked around. When he came in we started chatting about armoire’s and then he said ” I know which artwork you want to see” and led me over to the ” clouds ” . It was such a pleasure to meet him. He will be sorely missed. A wonderful gentleman.

2. Art Coeo on November 17, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I learned so much about colour from Murray. Our house adorns a varity of Murry’s Prints. We are so thankful to see Murray’s art everyday.

3. Jim Mathers on October 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm

It was with sadness that last weekend we found out that Murray had passed away. We are not frequent visitors to Clare and as such news of his passing did not reach us. We found Murray at his beautiful studio one cold sunny June afternoon a few years ago now, it was a devil of a place to find but the effort was well worth it. We found Murray to be the perfect host and left with a prized possession, a stunning view of vines in the Clare Valley. We enjoyed a glass of Shiraz and toasted our memory of a charming man who we were looking forward to meeting with again,sadly this was not to be the case.

4. Tim McManus on March 27, 2013 at 10:23 pm

For many years our visits to Clare always took us up that meandering track to the little studio in the hill. We were strangers but there inside Murray made us always welcome as he discussed life, art and travels. His obvious love and respect of people and environment was inspiring. Murray may your spirit live on and talents be adored.

Tim McManus, Joann Duffy and Ellie McManus

5. Murray's memory on November 3, 2012 at 8:43 am

An earthen haven
    near the crest of a ridge
    In the saddle of hills

Has the wind scattered the petals
    of the flowers they left
    And your ashes

Does laughter still sliver
    Among the grey foliage
    Even when the storms blow
    And toss the branches around
    Like you

The grey thrushes still visit I know
    The animals seek water even now
    Though you’re not there

Your memory walks tall and light
    Across the hills straddling valleys
    In a step
    Sometimes two

The air is clear, bright dims
    The lesser memories
    And how
    How I wish you were here

• Stuart Roy on March 14, 2013 at 8:44 am

Meeting Murray was a real pleasure. After a beautiful weekend in the Barossa we felt we needed something to remind us of our time there so we called into his Studio on the hill. After some time we left having had a wonderful conversation with the man and parted with some money. Testament to the type of man he was, he delivered our prints to our house in Adelaide. They occupy prominent places in our home in Wales and give us a constant reminder of our time in South Australia. May he rest in peace.

6. Kirsten Petersen on October 9, 2012 at 8:37 am

This was going to be the year I went to see Murray at his studio in Australia and trying to connect again I see the awful news, he is gone.
    One of the high points in my artist life was the workshop I took with him in Kati Kati New Zealand. His childlike awe of nature, colours and design was so inspiring. He would sit in the car taking in the views with verbal sighs and exclamations. A truly beautiful person has joined the angels and I like to think he flies all over the world taking it all in.

7. JANET VAN SANTEN on September 30, 2012 at 8:27 am

I too met Murray in his studio, the weather was dull, raining on & off, we happened to see his sign & followed the path, it was so special, he had the stove going, it was so cosy,I could have stayed forever. I did’nt want to take up his time, he a great artiste and I did’nt even know anything about pastels then, but he obviously loved people and made me feel special. I loved his art & was very excited to see it. I bought all i could afford at the time, lots of his postcards to inspire me. We did go back again but he wasn’t there, I know now why. He will be missed. The world was a better place with Murray Edwards. our condolences to his family & anyone lucky enough to have known him.

8. Sarah and Peter Hignett on September 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm

We are very saddened to hear of Murray’s death. We have been visiting and buying his work over many years and the visit was always made special by his warm welcome and discussions on both life and his work. The studio on top of the hill was unique in its beautiful setting. We will miss him.

9. Wendy Lo Iacono on August 14, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting Murray a few years ago which was a result of a birthday gift. I will always remember that special day as that was the day he introduced me to pastels. I am eternally grateful for your inspiration Murray!
    My sincerest condolences to the family.
    “Life is a great big canvas and you should throw all the paint on it you can”-Danny Kay

10. Peter Vast on August 14, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I met Murray at his studio a few years back. Although brief, It’s an experience I will never forget. His works say all there is to say now, I think.

11. Carlo Pangrazio on July 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I am sorry to learn of the passing of Murray Edwards…… our condolense to his family.

A friend, Matial Turel gave us a print done by Murray Edwards titled “Country Road”. I believe it is of Clare Valley area. Matial had an interest in a winery there. Martialwhop is now in his late seventies returned to Swistzerland some years ago.
    We likethe print very much.
    We would like to have some indication of value of the print for insurance. Are you able to help.

Carlo Pangrazio,
    Kula Lumpur, Malaysia

12. Art Coeo on January 26, 2012 at 10:49 am

We were so fortunate to meet Murray in 2007 and experience true artistic colour. Our love goes out to all Murray’s family including Pearl and Blossom. Murray had the love of art in e’s heart and took it to heaven to make everything a beautiful place. In my life, I will keep Murry with me.

13. Art Coeo on January 13, 2012 at 3:07 pm

United Earth Senator Murray Edwards is remembered. Such a brillant colour manager. All that Murray did is forever captured in many home across the universe, including our home in Minnesota, USA. I enjoy Murray’s creation everyday as I move on in this universe.
    We will always love you Murray Edwards. You are one of our favorite Senators.
    United Earth Senate

14. Danielle Cameron on December 24, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting Murray Edwards in his studio.
    I have to say that I was incredibly saddened to look up his website tonight and read the news of his demise.
    Thank you Murray for taking the time to talk to me and letting me watch you work. You will live on in your beautiful artwork. Sympathies to his family and in particular his daughter (whom he adored).

15. Malcolm Arnold on November 30, 2011 at 5:35 pm

From Bangladesh, I spoke to Murray, while he was in hospital only a week before he died. As usual he was expressing his love for colour and looking forward to a family member bringing in his beloved pastels. We talked of our times together, enjoying a good ‘red” whilst discussing the ‘big’ questions about life. We talked of enduring love. We talked about friends that, according to the Buddha and me, would always meet again, whether in a week or in a thousand years. We talked of our mutual love for each other. We both knew it would be our last chat; it was. It was a perfect way to say goodbye to a dear friend.

16. Maxine Donald on November 19, 2011 at 5:33 pm

A wonderfully talented man with a gift for sharing his knowledge and skills. His pastel demo’s were brilliant – both in colour and the way he conducted them. Vale Murray.

17. Gary & Cheryl Sauerwald and kids on November 17, 2011 at 11:44 pm

A true gentleman who will be sorely missed by our family. Someone who always had time for everyone and was always up for a chat – the kids loved it.
    His inspirational artwork and love of life will be a treasured memory with our family.